Sunday, February 20, 2011

Riding out The Storm: Talking Points #4

How does this article relate to me? Well, it doesn't- I was a perfect teenager:) However, it does relate to my sister. Let me count the ways:

The Storm

Rebecca Raby speaks on page 431 about teenagers' unpredictability and upheaval during this stage of teenhood. Well, when my sister entered middle school, it was like, in her mind, my parents and I became instant enemies. The screaming, yelling, hitting, swearing, disobedience, apathy, anger, slamming of doors, and all out hatred for her once-loved family became quite apparent. This was a storm that my parents and I never saw coming.

Becoming

"The Promise" was something we often yearned for during my sister's teen years. I used to tell my parents, "One day you will get your daughter back." My aunt once told me, "Believe it or not, you and Lauren will be best friends one day." I didn't believe her, but in a way that did come true. Raby refers to British youth researcher F. Musgrove on page 434 as Musgrove "likened adolescence to colonized peoples who are in revolt." I couldn't have said it better myself:)

At-Risk

Raby speaks on page 435 about the different types of stressors that can accompany adolescence, such as drugs, alcohol, depression, eating disorders, sexual diseases etc. As I read this section, I remembered how these stressors were evident with my sister's first party when she came home "tipsy" from having her first few drinks and when my parents had "The Talk" with my sister about her and her boyfriend about sex and "The Pill."

Social Problem

Raby refers to an article in George titled, "Why kids are ruining America" where it states the following: "Teens are running roughshod over this country-murdering, raping, gambling away the nation's future-and we have bills for counselling and prison to prove it." My thought process switched from my sister's delinquency to my students'. I felt that I was heavily influenced in a positive way when I was a teenager and so was my sister for that matter. Today, I constantly think to myself, "Where are the positive tv shows now for kids to learn from?" We are living in a world of Reality TV, Crime, and Dramas. I often think, "If there were some better things for the kids to watch on tv then maybe these kids wouldn't be so misguided? I remember learning a great deal from TV shows when I was young. Back then, you would see characters mature, plots become more relatable, and morals were absorbed in a matter of 30 minutes. Take a look at this montage from one of my favorite shows, "Growing Pains (1985-1992)" In this montage, it shows various female adolescent issues that "Carol Seaver"(Tracy Gold)endures throughout the series and are mostly explored in this week's reading(oh, and yes, that IS Brad Pitt, ladies. He did get his start on this show- as did Matthew Perry and Leonardo Dicaprio...but I digress):




Where is that now? Would that make a difference? In fact, name one television show airing in 2011 that a teenager could actually learn a lesson that would teach them ways to cope with problems.

8 comments:

  1. Ron, you portray yourself as someone who has never experienced being a teenager, who just watched your sister be a teenager as you sidestepped that part of your life and moved straight to adulthood. Even if you didn't fit into these discourses they were still all around you when you were growing up. Can you remember an experience when one of these discourses effected your life as a teen(for example when i was a teenager I was ready to go out and change the world, yet my mother restricted me saying i wasn't ready)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that you tied it into a show that I grew up watching 1.) it made me think back & 2.) it made me understand your points of your reflection. I also agree with Kayla, everyone grew up with experiences & of course you have some !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes girls, I guess you are right. When I was a teenager, the one thing I did feel awkward about was my looks. I was too thin and my lips were too big. Some people called me Bart Simpson. Happy now? Thanks for bringing that to the surface. Now I am on my way to see my Therapist. Thank You. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily things worked out though, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, You make some greata points. I especially agree with the media influence when growing up. Unfortunately kids today do not have the same TV families we did as a kids. Sure, they may not be the realistic view of families but we were watching good role models and kids learning a lesson in every episode. I think reality tv has ruined so much It really isn't"reality" it is distorted reality. Although my son grew up watching Nick at Night and shows like The Cosby Show and Full HOuse were shows I felt good about him watching..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree that there are no TV shows now that portray a good message to teens or have a good portrayal of teens. I liked your example and it makes me wish we could go back to the more simpler days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron I think it is awesome how you related Raby's main points to someone familar to you- I think a lot of girls can relate to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you addressed the highlights of the article. I am going to post a response to this, with some youtube clips of current tv shows that carry a positive message. =]

    ReplyDelete