Sunday, February 13, 2011

Talking Points # 3: Stereotypes in Cartoons

In the article, "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us," Christensen argues that cartoons and their images influence the manner in which viewers (primarily children)see the American culture. This "secret education" (p.128) that Christensen speaks of is embedding an ideology that consists of one sex, race, class, group, country, etc dominating over an inferior one. Examples such as an episode of Popeye, titled, "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves" (p. 130) or more recent films such as Mulan, Aladdin, and Pocohontas are noted by Christensen as highly discriminatory toward non-American groups. Although, an easy/interesting read, the point of this article in my opinion is not a blanket statement: "Cartoons portray anything non-American as bad." To me, Christensen, seems to be looking out for the young viewers who live within a society whose youth is quite impressionable.

Now, I watched the cartoons that Christensen mentioned in the article, and I NEVER thought for one second that Duck Tales, Popeye, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had ANY effect on me. Nor did other popular shows such as Inspector Gadget, Thundercats, The Smurfs, Bugs Bunny and Friends, Garfield, Mighty Mouse, Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, Road Runner and Coyote, etc. make me think anything other than "this is entertaining." However, there was one show that I remember watching with my sister back in the mid-late 80's that I, at the age of 11 distinctly noticed portraying images that could influence my sister. Take a look at the theme song to Jem and The Holograms below. What images come to your mind?



There are so many ideologies at play in this theme song. From fame, to fashion, to the blonde girl living a double-life as a rock star and perfect girl that the boys always like off the stage, to "The Misfits" and their non-traditional hair and makeup to the competition, and of course the Jealousy- in fact, how about the image of the multiple girls vs. Jem. In fact, there is even the hidden message of violence, as they say, "We're The Misfits, We're Gonna Get Her." I remember when I watched it with my sister, thinking to myself, "What are they going to do when they get her? Beat her up?" There was always a subtle hint of that in that show. I'm probably getting on my soapbox here, but as I read the article, this is what I kept thinking of.

5 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE you example!!! And you did a great job explaining it using the Christensen piece.

    Did you watch the new Modern Family last week? I'm watching it tonight so we can talk about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see you use Jem as an example!

    You're definitely not on a soapbox. I LOVED Jem growing up, and I have to admit I even occasionally watch it now. But It definitely has negative ideology presented - even Jerrica, who is a strong business women and could definitely be a positive role model, only has that business because her dad left it to her, and the minute her beau is around she becomes silly and illogical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! I did not realize your responses until now, or I would've talked to you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think when you watch the shows mentioned in Christensen as a child of course you are blinded by all of these ideologies hidden within the show, but as an adult it actually can blow your mind when you actually understand what it is actually portraying! After reading this article i watched videos on youtube on the hidden messages within disney movies, at times some were believable but others just seemed like someone was purposely was trying to make hidden message out of nothing.

    ReplyDelete